Thursday, July 14, 2011

It just keeps getting better

Please note that the title is dripping with sarcasm.

Now B has a sinus infection. Our whole house has been a cess pool of sickness going on 3 weeks now. It's been lovely. Really.

So for the first time in her life, Brynna is on antibiotics.

Which is a story in itself. And maybe I'm just being an over concerned, know-it-all, mom here, but to be honest, I'm losing confidence in our pediatrician.

Yesterday, when we went in he kind of gave us the brush off, "I'm too busy today" appointment and it really kind of irked me. I felt kind of like we were wasting his time since she is just "on the edge" of it being considered a sinus infection (nose yuckiness for 10 days and 3 days of eye conjuctivitis). I'm kind of wondering if he forgot that it's people like me that KEEP HIM IN BUSINESS?!

And then he prescribed B amoxicillin, which is completely outdated for sinus infections. There are SO many better products out there that DON'T require a full 10 day dosage before working effectively. Working in a peds office for 5+ years through HS and college, I do know a thing or 2 about meds and antibiotics (not trying to toot my own horn, just stating a fact). And it just seems silly to me to put a child on amox for 10 days when zithromax or augmentin are only 3-6 days and work SO. MUCH. BETTER.  Why play around with the bug for 10 days to see if amox will kill it? Why not bring out the PROVEN big guns from the beginning? I blame it on the state we live in... it being underserviced and all (aka considered rural). While there are many fine doctors that practice here, many things just seem a bit outdated.

This has been a bone of contention with me before when Batman has been sick and had to go on antibiotics. They prescribed the same thing. And MOST of the time, he's had to get another script for something stronger.

At least my mom works for our "Seattle ped" and can call in the big guns for us if she is considerably better by Monday.

*sigh*

5 comments:

April said...

The Zpack is like the cure all! :) Im with you! It seems crazy to be on for 10days! Yikes. Hopefully this will be the LAST wave of sickness for a long time (ok well like 5 months till we hit winter and start this crap all over. ugh)

Melissa said...

Oh Tiff, I was hoping the sickies would be cleared out of your home by now. Poor Brynna. It's really hard when you as a parent can't see eye-to-eye with the pediatrician. You want what's best for your daughter and it can be terribly frustrating when the doctor - who is supposed to be looking out for your child's wellbeing - shrugs off your concerns and throws an outdated remedy in your face. Hang in there; hopefully your little munchkin starts to feel better soon.

Shannon said...

Oh yucky that sucks!! Ella always gets the Zithromax because she's allergic to Amoxicillin. I guess there's a bright side to that after all.

Hope you guys all feel better soon!!

Happily Married said...

Oh Hun. I'd be in the market for another ped with the frustrations you've had. I know having a sick kiddo is no fun and to have it prolonged when it could be nipped in the bud much sooner is insult to injury. After some breathing room has elapsed I'd suggest making an appt with the doctor to discuss your concerns about how you're feeling "brushed off" and so forth. ((((HUGS)))) I hope Brynna is back on the mend ASAP.

someday-soon said...

That just stinks!!! Hope she is feeling much better soon.